Saturday 16 August 2014

Classic Apple Sponge Cake with Cinnamon

Sometimes I get a huge need to bake, often I don't know what I want to bake - just something - and I end up browsing through my baking books to find out what it will be. A scenario like this took place yesterday and the lucky winner was.... Apple sponge cake!
When I found the recepie in the book I realized that I had forgotten about this kind of fruit cake and when I took the first bite and tasted the sweet/sour apple pieces together with the sponge cake and cinnamon I realized how much I missed it. Apple sponge cake is far too underestimated and I swore to myself that I will bake it again very soon. And then again and agian and again....
Oh and remember, you can replace the apples with whatever you like such as pears, rhubarb, blueberries and raspberries! 



Apple Sponge Cake with Cinnamon

Oven temperature: 175 Celsius

125 grams of margarine or butter
1 1/2 dl white sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 dl flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk

Garnish
3-4 apples
1-2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

How to...
  1. Grease and cover the inside of a baking pan (with removable rim), about 24 cm in diameter.
  2. Melt the margarine/butter and let it cool down.
  3. Use a baking assistant machine or stir by hand the melted margarine/butter with the sugar until it gets light yellow and light in the consistency. 
  4. Pour one egg at the time into the sugar mixture.
  5. Use a spoon and evenly distribute the baking powder in the flour and then add the flour into the sugar mixture little by little. 
  6. Add milk into the batter and stir until it gets smooth and even. 
  7. Pour the batter into the baking pan and use a spoon to even the surface.
  8. Peel the apples and cut them into thin wedges.
  9. Insert the apple wedges into the batter close togheter.
  10. Spread white sugar mixed with cinnamon over the cake.
  11. Bake the cake in the lower part of the oven for about 30-40 minutes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment