Friday 10 October 2014

Salt dough accessories

As a child my mother and I sometimes made small trinkets in salt dough and let them harden in the oven. That was a very long time ago and I asked myself yesterday why things you do as a child tend to be labled as childish and therefore you don't do it as an adult. I did not have a good answer to that question so today I decided to make some dough and just go crazy! Well... Or at least I did some small things I can use as accessories for hair clips or why not a brooch :)
I used superglue to fix the things to the hair clips.

Salt dough
1 deciliter salt
1 1/2 deciliter water
1 1/2 teaspoon oil
180 grams (3 deciliter) flour

Mix salt and water in a bowl and let the salt solve into the water for about 30 minutes.
Add the oil and then the flour while you stirr with a spoon. The dough will soon be easy to form with your hands and if you feel the doug to be a little sticky you can add more flour.

When you don't use the dough you can store it in a plastic bag in the fridge.

When you have made some nice things with the dough and you want to keep them and maybe color them you need to put them on a oven plate covered with baking paper and let them dry in the oven in 80 Celcius for at least an hour (but the time depends on how large things you have made and how thick they are). 

You can color your things when they are hard and cooled. I used acrylic paint to color my things, but perhaps you can find other suitable paint in your craft store or on the internet :)

 

















No comments:

Post a Comment